2017-12-12

Making the Cove's landscape


As promised, I'll continue with the terrain modifications in the cove. But first, I want to apologize for the delay. I was very busy lately and I didn’t had time to work on anything at all. Fortunately, I had a little free time recently, so I could finish this part.

If you want to see the cove finally in 3D, then click on read more, otherwise well… don’t. (But, I suggest you should, even if you don’t want to. ;))


So yeah… Here we go again. Still making the terrain. It’s the hardest part, but that is what you will see mostly and it’s the backbone of the map. Therefore, it’s very crucial to make it right, otherwise the map loses it’s goal and will look, like a failed attempt, so I had to take this seriously.

This post will be fairly short, because this was also in the beginning a trial and error thing. Nothing was final, so I changed the landscape a LOT. If I’d took pictures on everything, you wouldn’t even noticed the small changes. But I made a few, mostly the before and after phases, because there you can see the differences.

First I raised all the terrain, so it separate out from the water. That alone boosted the overall look. Then, I started, with the most complex and hardest part, the area where Toothless burns a patch of ground (I’ve even mentioned this in my previous post, that there will be a lot of construction work here, and sure it had.) This part took me approximately 60-70% of the work. I tried to be accurate as possible, but it was very hard to copy the ground here. Maybe if I have time, I will polish it more, but in this state, I’m pretty much satisfied.





After that, I moved on to the area near the entrance, cause it has also some bumps. This part was fairly easy, because it didn’t had all those complex shapes.



Lastly, I moved on to the other side of the Cove and finish it with the little bumps that are near to the boulders.



I really don’t know what else I can say about this phase. The images speak for themselves. It was pretty though, but it worth the effort. Yes, perhaps it needs a bit polishing here and there, but for now it’s pretty accurate.

The next will be much longer I promise, cause there will be a lot to cover (literarily). Now that we have everything in place, we can now move on to add some vegetation!

Thank you for reading, and see you one the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment