2017-08-14

So, it begins...


In this first WIP post, I will start making the level.

Click on read more to begin the journey...


All right, let's get into it.

The first thing I had to do, is get a reference for the cove. Sadly I didn’t found any usable material for the overall layout from the movies, and the series, but after some digging in google, I found this image:


This was the original layout map of the cove for HTTYD! It's is a very good staring point to make the cove’s features and dimensions accurate!

First, I made a flat surface, (plane) and imported the layout image as a texture, so I had a very good reference for the cove's proportions.
There is a very cool feature in the editor, and that is the play mode. You can go into First Person View and start moving around, as if you were in the game. In that, (with lot of trial and error) I kinda figured out, what's are the cove’s proper dimensions. (I scaled the plane, up and down, until I felt the size is right.)


The next step was to make a landscape and start "carving out" the hole in the middle.

moved the plane to the ground and start lifting the landscape around the borders. After a while, it looked like this:


In play mode: 


The borders are not as tall as in the movie, but I had to keep it low, so I can see more of the ground, and won't interfere while I making the details in the cove.

So there you go. These were the first steps of making the overall layout and look of the cove. Obviously, this was only the beginning, and there will be a LOT of things to do, until it will be finished.

On the next "episode" I show you, the texturing and lake forming progression. It will change the look drasticly, cause this very simple grass texture doesn't add a lot to the overall atmosphere, but the new texture definetely will. You'll see!

See you on the next part! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment